Once again, the project has come to a crawl. Not that it's not going to get done, it's just stalled for the time being. Over the Summer, I got wrapped up in Summer classes, which really consumed my time. Now I've got this Fall semester keeping me busy. This change of career stuff isn't all that easy!
I did, however, get a chance to acquire a bunch of cool parts! I had a friend work on my triple-crown and fill in the holes and give it a sweet paint job to give it that classic race look, since I'm going to go with clip-ons. I also put in some fairly big orders to finish up restoring the carburetors- now I just need to get the proper size main and pilot jets. I bought some new intake joints and a crossover pipe, while a very nice friend donated a brand new Y-boot and Uni-Filter setup. I also bought all brand new control cables- most of them are still available through Yamaha, so don't waste your money on Ebay, buying those aftermarket replacements. Also, I found a front master cylinder in really usable shape, so I'm in the middle of tearing it down to marry the parts with my original cylinder.
One of my favorite gets for the season was a brand new (still in the box) Hella halogen headlight and bulb that I found on Ebay. It was a total score- I bought it for less than $30!
Also I started working on refinishing the Daytona head. I tracked down some phosphoric acid from my local Home Depot and gave it a nice overnight soaking. Then I began the wet sanding portion, but decided that I need more grit. Then things got busy.