Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hoping I Have a Straight Frame (or Two)

After a very long break, I'm finally starting to get some more work done on the bike.  My main sticking point, besides work and the new puppy (and everything else) has been getting that damned clutch apart off the bike.  I tried getting a strap wrench at Sears, but that couldn't get enough purchase on the clutch boss and it kept spinning, when trying to crank off the nut.  My next attempt will be bolting a few plates together to keep the primary driven gear and clutch boss together.  I can then shove a rag in the gears and the whole assembly should be stable enough to work with.

Today, I finally got around to taking my frames in to get checked out.  One frame, I purchased off of Ebay, complete with a clean California title that was up to date at the time.  I quickly put that into non-op, so I won't have to pay registration fees, while I'm building up the bike.  I had let my old registration go for so long that it would take a LOT of money to bring it up to date.

I took both frames to the Frame Man, in Sacramento, as suggested from many local shops and friends.  Apparently, they are the place to go.  I met Pat, who wrote up my ticket.  We chatted for a while and traded stories about 2-strokes and whatnots.  There is no charge to evaluate the frames- with any luck, at least one of them will be straight and good to go.  They're a little backlogged, so it's going to be a while till they get back to me.  Heck! I've waited this long to get it done- what's another four weeks?

2 comments:

  1. Post a comment? keep going, I bought my wife a 1976 rd400C (she was born in 1976) 4.5 years ago to get it ready for her 30 th birthday, keep going! in 3 weeks my wife turns 34. bike is sooo close... just a leaky brake to fix and the legal paper work to do, then rolling smoky heaven.. great blog cheers Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Sweeeet! Get that bike on the road again! That will be the best bday present ever and she is going to LOVE it! Tell your wife "Happy Birthday" for me! btw, how much is the back registration going to cost? Where are you located? ~ e

    ReplyDelete