Thursday, February 14, 2019

Suspension Research

I got the day off today, so I have been emailing the engine-builders and pipe restorer. I'm also poking around trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my suspension.

I would really like to install emulators in the forks. There are a few choices, but I'm still trying to figure out what's going to actually work. I know that the Harley crowd likes to use Ricor Intiminators, but I don't think they have a model that works with my RD. Then there's Mikesxs, but I don't think they have a size that fits the RD400 either. Then there was one...

Race Tech has an excellent product. I have used their emulator before on the SV650s that I took to the track. They kind of invented the concept (and own the patent on it). It was straightforward and easy to install. And it worked like a charm. The only issue for the RD400 is that in order for the emulators to seat flush against the damper rods, some machining has to be done- I believe there's an inner lip that keeps the devices from sitting flat. It's about $200 for the emulators and another $110 for springs that match my weight and ride style.

As for the rear shocks, I do believe that I will be going with some Ikon shocks (formerly Koni). They only make one model that applies to the RD400, but it's a good one. I emailed Nils and he informed me that on it's lightest preload setting, the springs should be fine for me.

Now, I have to get back to today's task at hand. (No, it's not the Valentine's Day thing- my wife is sick, so all dinner reservations have been called off. I'm just going to smoke some burgers tonight instead.) For some reason, the brake lights on my Harley won't turn off! I bought a new front brake switch, but the last time I tested, it wasn't the rear switch nor the front switch!! Weird. Luckily, when I tested again today, I successfully isolated the issue down to the front. Yay! Now, I just have to solder the new switch in and stitch that puppy all back together!

No comments:

Post a Comment