Friday, May 10, 2019

Some REAL Progress!!

It's been a while since I last checked in. A lot of progress has been made. Although it took a lot of trips to the hardware and the auto parts stores, the forks did get stripped, cleaned, gutted, parts replaced and upgraded, then reassembled. I was also able to pick up some fine used parts deals along the way, like a set of Woodcraft clip-ons and a bent HVC kickstarter lever.

The fork sliders weren't all that hard to strip and polish- they came out very nice indeed. But in order to reassemble the forks back together again, I had to install the triple-tree and it was getting some work done, so they had to wait. A long while back, a friend did some fab work for me, taking a RD400 top yolk, grinding off the handlebar mount supports and filling them in, then repainting them silver, so they would look like vintage style TD3 top triples. Although the general shape of the yolk looked fantastic, the finishing work wasn't as perfect as I would have wanted it to be, so I stripped it, dug out the old filler and filled the holes again with JB Weld SteelStik (thinking that this filler would be harder). It took some work to get it to fill just right and it took many cycles of paint and sanding to get to where I was comfortable with it. In the end, I was extremely satisfied with the work that I had done- this time the top triple was painted black.

I also installed the All Balls steer roller bearings and races. If you ever do this job, please note that the races do not fit in tight with precision- both the upper and lower races rattle just a little bit when installed. They barely even needed to be "pressed" in. Also the top race will stick above the frame by about 2mm, which is normal according to the support tech I spoke to at All Balls. I popped them back out and used some Loc-Tite red 271 to keep them in place, greased the shit out of the bearings, then buttoned everything back up.

Just for yucks, I installed the clip-ons and did a mock up of the gauges as well. I'm feeling so happy that this thing is really starting to come together!

 

I just took a little vacation overseas. While away, I did some thinking and I'm going to change my design of the bike, once again. I'm feeling that I'm going to reuse the same original cast mag wheels and ditch the idea of wired wheels. The good news is that I can save a bundle not having to build up new wheels (rims, spokes, etc.), but the downside is that now I have a bunch of RD350 wheel bearings in my possession and now I need to buy some RD400 stuff! Also I will have to rebuild the RD400 rear disc brake system. But then now getting rearsets will be much more straight forward!

It's funny. The longer I take to build this bike, the more it keeps going back to the factory design. Remember, when I first set out on this build, I was going to build up a full blown TD3 replica with fairings and all. Now it's going to look very OEM, except for me chopping up the front fender and the seat/tail will be modified. I'm okay with that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment