Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Parts Are Accumulating

Recently, I've been purchasing some goodies I just couldn't resist on Ebay. Today in the mail I received a used set of RD400 head lamp ears (some people who restore these RD400's don't always use the original ears, some opt for a different RD model or even an aftermarket brand) - one is slightly bent and the other one is in pretty poor condition, but I've got the perfect complement on my bike, so with a little hammering and some paint, I believe I can restore the ears to a very presentable state.

A couple of days earlier, I got the rear brake linkage for the RD350 wire-spoke wheels I purchased earlier. The wire wheels use a drum brake system, whereas the RD400 came stock with the fluid caliper disk brake. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to set up my rearsets. I've read that the old Yamaha FZR600 rearsets match the mounting holes. More research is needed.

Last week, I received a RD400 headlight bucket to replace my dented and mangled one. It just needs a little paint.

More or less, I have an entirely "new" front end on the bike. Everything hanging off of the triple-tree will be replaced, except for the headlight itself and front brake (but that system will get rebuilt). I've got replacement parts for the headlight assembly, speedo, tach, ignition and idiot light console, forks and wheel.

Lately, work has gotten really busy, so I hope I can find some weekend time to get some stuff done on the bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment