Thursday, January 15, 2009

Untangling the Birdnest of Madness

Work is slow right now, so I took the opportunity to go for a short ride on my SV650 today. It's so nice being in California- the temperature topped out today at 72 degrees. When I got back, I spent a little time sorting out all my parts, so they wouldn't get damaged or lost. My garage is happy.

I decided to dig into the dissassembly of the front end. I popped off the headlamp ring and pulled out the light. Dang! There's a whole mess of wires back there all wadded up! I guess I never realize how many electrical connections needed to be made so short a distance from the instruments. The tach, speedo, ignition, dummy lights, signal indicators and kill switch all run to the headlight housing like a gangbox. Since I get easily spooked with electrical stuff, I spent a good amount of time labeling all the connections, before I disconnected them. Later, I'll have to match up all the labels to the new harness. I've always assumed that the electrical is in fine working order, but I found a number of connectors that didn't have anything connected to them. Luckily I have a good schematic to check it against. Hmmm...it would be so much easier to just build a race bike, no lights or anything- there's hardly any electrical.

No comments:

Post a Comment